Music to my Ears Ride
Hello everyone hope your riding season has been a good one so far. This week I will be giving you the information you need about – Music To My Ears Ride (about 88 miles round trip). Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia are famous for their music. As the home of the legendary Carter Family and the Birthplace of Country Music, this area laid the foundation for America’s modern music scene. Dine at the Burger Bar—a Bristol classic, and the last place where Hank Williams was seen alive, visit the auditorium that June Carter and Johnny Cash called home, and see where the first “country” recordings were made in 1927. Continue your quest for regional history on the Johnson City campus of ETSU where you can explore the Archives of Appalachia to uncover writings, images, and sounds documenting life in southern Appalachia. Our area is rich in history, I have personally got to hang out with June Carter, Johnny Cash, and many more.
Here are the directions for this ride:
1. Turn left at light US 11E N / US 19 N, 21.2 mi. 2. Turn right on State St., 0.2 mi. 3. Turn left on Piedmont Ave., 0.1 mi. 4. Turn right on Cumberland St., 0.1 mi. 5. Bear right to Birthplace of Country Music Way, 250 ft. 6. Turn right at Birthplace of Country Music. 7. Turn right on Birthplace of Country Music Way, 150ft. 8. Turn right on Lee St., 350 ft. 9. Turn right on State St., 1.6 mi. 10. Continue straight on US 421 N, 1.1 mi. 11. Continue straight on US 421 N / US 58 W, 19.2 mi. 12. (Gate City). 13. Turn right on SR 709, 0.1 mi. 14. Turn right on SR 614 / AP Carter Hwy, 3.3 mi. 15. Turn left on Carter Fold and Family Museum. 16. Turn right on SR 614 / AP Carter Hwy, 3.3 mi. 17. Turn left on SR 709, 0.1 mi. 18. Turn right on US 421 N / US 58 W, 4.9 mi. 19. Turn right on US 421N / US 58 W, 0.1 mi. 20. Turn left on US 23 S, 2.9 mi. 21. Turn right on I-26 E / 23 S, 22.9 mi. 22. Turn right on Exit 20, Roan St.
Here are a few things you might enjoy along your ride:
1. Birthplace of Country Music Museum - Take in the region’s musical history
2. Bristol Motor Speedway - Have an adrenaline-pumping good time
3. Burger Bar - Follow in Hank Williams’ steps and enjoy a juicy burger and fries with a refreshing, creamy milkshake
4. Historical Bristol TN/VA Sign - The perfect photo opportunity to remember the adventure
5. Carter Family Fold - to soak up some history and, on select evenings, some regional music
6. Ridgewood Barbecue - Satisfy your tastebuds with a local favorite
7. Blackbird Bakery - Get yourself a sweet treat
8. Quaker Steak & Lube – A fun place to chill, get a bite to eat & a cold brew
1. There is a metallic asteroid shaped like a dog bone named “Kleopatra.”
2. A “jiffy” is about one trillionth of a second.
3. The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
4. It’s possible to lead a cow upstairs… but not downstairs.
5. Pope John Paul II was an honorary Harlem Globetrotter.
6. Mulan has the highest kill-count of any Disney character.
7. 3.6 cans of Spam are consumed each second.
8. The average American looks at eight houses before buying one.
9. Most pandas in the world are on loan from China.
10. A snail can sleep for three years.
11. Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks so that it doesn’t digest itself.
12. Right handed people, on average, live nine years longer than left handed people.
13. Women have more tastebuds than men.
14. Women see more colors than men.
15. A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue.
1. World of Outlaws Bristol Bash April 28th – 30th
1. Thunder Beach Rally April 27th – May 1st Panama City, FL 2. Thunder In The Smokies April 29th – May 1st 3. Baggerz Saloon Party April 30th Winston Salem NC
1. Benefit Ride for Chris Calloway Washington County Moose April 24th 2. 2nd Annual Feeding 5,000 Fun Ride April 31st 3. Smokey Mountain HD Cannonball Run April 31st 4. BTN 6th Annual Motorcycle Awareness Ride April 30th Marketplace Mall Winston Salem NC, then to Smokin Hartley Davidson, ends at Baggerz Saloon
1. Kingsport Moose Riders 2nd & 4th Wednesday Each Month 2. 19E Pit Stop Every Wednesday 3. Quaker Steak & Lube Every Thursday 4. Tulips Grub & Pub Every Friday 5. Thunder Mountain Tavern Every Tuesday 6. Peacemakers Bike Night 801 Boozy Creek Every 3rd Friday of each month 7. East Coast Wings Every Wednesday 8. Dog Tag Brigade Every Wednesday at Jonesborough VFW 9. The Pub Out Back Every Monday